Are you worried about what might happen if you swallow mouthwash?

Accidental ingestion of mouthwash is an increasingly common problem, especially among children. Mouthwash contains alcohol and other chemicals to prevent tooth decay that can be hazardous when swallowed.

Additionally, some mouthwashes contain fluoride which can cause serious illnesses or even death if ingested in large quantities.

We have created a guide to help you better understand the potential dangers of swallowing mouthwash and how to respond quickly and safely should it happen to you or someone around you.

Our detailed guide will provide insight into the effects of swallowing different types of mouthwashes and how best to react in order to minimize the harm caused by consumption.

Access our free online guide now for further information on the repercussions of swallowing mouthwash!

What Happens If You Swallow Mouthwash?

Swallowing mouthwash can cause a variety of unpleasant and uncomfortable symptoms which range from minor discomfort to more serious issues that require medical attention. These symptoms can manifest within minutes or even hours after drinking the product, ranging from a mild burning sensation in the throat to nausea and vomiting.

Additionally, it is possible for small amounts of swallowed mouthwash to enter the small intestine, causing diarrhea with traces of blue or green color due to the components in the product. In serious cases, a person may experience difficulty breathing and throat pain or spasms as well as dizziness.

Treatment for swallowing mouthwash usually involves drinking large quantities of water to reduce irritation in the stomach, but if there is severe pain or swelling in the throat then immediate medical attention should be sought.

The Effects of Swallowing a Small Amount of Mouthwash

Swallowing a small amount of mouthwash can lead to some uncomfortable and possibly dangerous side effects. Although mouthwash is formulated to be used exclusively within the mouth for oral health, the chemicals and alcohol in some products can still cause toxic reactions when ingested.

It is important to remember that even with “natural” or organic products, ingesting mouthwash can have consequences ranging from minor discomforts like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, to more serious issues like long-term organ damage if large amounts are swallowed.

This is why it is important to store all forms of mouthwash out of the reach of children and take care when gargling or rinsing your thoughts so that no one accidentally swallows any of the product.

The Effects of Overdosing on Mouthwash

Overdosing on mouthwash is a serious and potentially deadly mistake that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Consuming large amounts of the chemical ingredients in mouthwash can lead to irritation and inflammation in the esophagus, as well as more severe symptoms such as vomiting, abdominal pain, and trouble breathing.

In severe cases, it can even lead to coma and death, so it's important for people to be aware of this risk and use caution when handling products containing alcohol or other toxic ingredients.

Proper instruction should be given to children when buying products such as mouthwash. Never let children use mouthwash unsupervised - they should always be monitored while using them since even small amounts of ingestion can still have dangerous consequences.

Taking the necessary precautions will help keep everyone safe from the potential hazards associated with overdosing on mouthwash.

What To Do Next If You Accidentally Swallow Mouthwash?

Swallowing mouthwash can be a scary experience, but with the right steps it doesn't have to cause long-term damage.

First and foremost, drink a large glass of water - this helps dilute the ingredients in the mouthwash so their effects are reduced.

Then, it's best to call your local National poison control center or doctor right away as they will be able to give specific advice on what should be done if you swallowed any of the ingredients that may be harmful. They may also advise going to an emergency room to receive additional medical treatment.

If anyone around you has experienced something similar, it is important that they look into what measures they should take moving forward in order to prevent any problems. With these quick actions, hopefully, the effects of the accidental swallowing of mouthwash can be quickly and effectively taken care of.

How Can You Prevent Yourself Or Others From Swallowing Mouthwash?

Although mouthwash can help kill bacteria, gargling with it is not a safe practice. One of the biggest risks in swallowing mouthwash is that many varieties contain an amount of alcohol content that can lead to intoxication and be dangerous.

The best method of preventing oneself or others from swallowing mouthwash is to make sure it’s out of reach at all times. Furthermore, proper labeling and marking each mouthwash bottle as “not for consumption” can be helpful as well.

Finally, always supervise children younger than 10 when they are brushing their teeth with any retail toiletry including mouthwash or oral rinses to avoid accidental ingestion.

Taking these steps and understanding the potential risks associated with ingesting regular mouthwash or oral rinse can help ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.

Top Mouthwashes To Try in 2023

Listerine Freshburst Antiseptic Mouthwash

Best Antiseptic Mouthwash

Listerine Freshburst Antiseptic Mouthwash

Check Price on Amazon!

Get rid of germs in your mouth with Listerine Freshburst Antiseptic Mouthwash. This 2-pack of 500-mL bottles kills 99.9% of the germs that cause bad breath, plaque, and gingivitis for a fresher, cleaner mouth than brushing alone can provide. And because it's ADA-accepted, you know it's effective!

Clinically proven to reduce plaque by up to 52% more than brushing and flossing alone, and reduce gingivitis by 21% more, this antiseptic rinse helps ensure that you have a fresh and healthy mouth. Enjoy the minty taste of spearmint flavor thanks to Freshburst's 99% natural ingredients. With Listerine Freshburst Antiseptic Mouthwash you can't go wrong - fight germs while enjoying a minty freshness!

TheraBreath Fresh Breath Dentist Formulated Oral Rinse

Best Dentist Formulation

TheraBreath Fresh Breath Dentist Formulated Oral Rinse

Check Price on Amazon!

TheraBreath's Fight and Breath Oral Rinse is a clinically-proven mouthwash designed by dentists that helps target sulfur-producing bacteria to fight bad breath. Our Icy Mint mouthwash starts targeting odors at the source, using oxygenating ingredients to reduce those sour, bitter, and metallic tastes in your mouth.

And our range of toothpaste, breath sprays, and more help you get long-lasting professional-grade oral care for the whole family. With TheraBreath you can restore confidence knowing that your breath is fresh and clean for hours on end!

Crest Pro-Health Advanced Mouthwash

Best to Strengthen Enamel

Crest Pro-Health Advanced Mouthwash

Check Price on Amazon!

Have you ever wished for a toothpaste that not only safely whitens your teeth but also strengthens them and kills bad breath germs at the same time? You don't need to look any further! Our toothpaste is clinically proven to effectively remove surface stains with brushing, as well as strengthen enamel and help prevent cavities.

And best of all, its alcohol-free formulation makes sure you won't experience the uncomfortable burn of alcohol when you brush your teeth. Enjoy a brighter smile while fortifying your teeth against cavities - our toothpaste is the perfect solution for all your oral health needs!

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Mouthwash Overdose?

Mouthwash overdose is the intentional or accidental consumption of a large quantity of mouthwash solution. This can be very dangerous; depending on the ingredients, and amount ingested, it can cause anemia, liver damage, kidney damage, organ failure, coma, and even death in severe cases.

In most mouthwash overdose-related products containing alcohol (the active ingredient in many mouthwashes), there is approximately 25-30% ethanol content - which means that ingesting too much could easily result in intoxication.

It's important to note that this isn't limited to just mouthwash; any product with a significant amount of alcohol present should be kept out of reach from children at all times and must never be ingested by anyone intentionally or accidentally.

If you suspect someone has overdosed on alcohol-based mouthwash or even alcohol-free mouthwash, contact your local poison control center immediately for assistance.

What Does A Mouthwash Contain?

Mouthwashes generally contain a combination of ingredients including antibacterial agents, astringents, and humectants. Antibacterial agents such as cetylpyridinium chloride or fluoride or hydrogen peroxide are used to help reduce plaque-causing bacteria in the mouth.

Astringents like menthol, eucalyptol, and thymol can act as antiseptics that fight off bad breath-causing bacteria while also providing a fresher taste in the mouth.

Humectants like glycerin work to prevent moisture loss while maintaining hydration inside the mouth. Some brands will also include additional ingredients such as whitening agents or sweeteners for increased efficacy and pleasantness.


So, what happens if you accidentally swallow a little mouthwash? Generally speaking, it isn’t harmful unless ingested in large quantities—and then, only if the product contains ethanol. ETHANOL IS ALCOHOL and can cause alcohol poisoning if too much is consumed at once.

If you have any concerns whatsoever, call your local poison control center or head to the emergency room immediately. The key Takeaway: don’t drink mouthwash!